Friday, June 28, 2013

Lessons in Rollerblading - As a Grown Woman

PART 1

I'm 38 years old. I'm a cancer survivor. I'm a mother. I'm a wife. I try to embrace new things to remind myself that life is short and we should never take a single moment for granted.

This is why it didn't strike me as off the charts crazy that yesterday the idea popped into my head that I should try rollerblading. For the first time. Ever.

I consulted a few websites and even called a friend to recruit another adventurist soul to join me. She said no thank you, however she had something I lacked...experience. She assured me blading was most likely easier to do  than old school roller skates, which gave me confidence. What about safety gear? She never used gear like that.

After 23 minutes of research, I climbed in my car, purse in hand to buy a pair of rollerblades.

When I arrived at the closest sporting goods department I know...AKA Wal-Mart...I was shocked to discover every rollerblade set they had, was THE SAME PRICE! Now how was I supposed to choose the "best" pair?

As it turned out, they only had one type in my size....size range actually. The fact they were adjustable sizes should have been a deterring factor for me. This must mean they are geared for broke parents of growing children...not a product for grown people. I apparently am NOT the target demographic for cheaply made rollerblades at Wal-Mart. I would soon see why.

No comments: